Celebrity development bullshit bingo-Victoria Beckham UNAIDS Goodwill Ambassador appointment speech edition

Nobody said the work and life of a communication for development researcher would be easy!
Therefore, I conducted painful field research by transcribing a 1:40 minute video recording of Victoria Beckham's appointment press conference as a new UNAIDS International Goodwill Ambassador. 


As it is also Friday afternoon I invite you to use her template for a round of development bullshit bingo! I already underlined key words and terms-so go ahead and indulge in a very bad example of celebrity savior complex discourse!

I am a passionate supporter of women. I want to support women. I want to empower women and I believe that everybody has the right to a healthy life. I’m a mother, I’m a woman. I want to do whatever it is I can do to lend my voice, raise awareness. This is something I feel really passionately about. I recently visited South Africa…I was so…touched…(you went to Cape Town?)…I went to Cape Town and I was so touched by the women that I met. I felt inspired and I came home and I knew that I had to do something. I didn’t know what I had to do, but I knew I had to do something. It’s taking me to getting 40 years old to realize I have a responsibility as a woman, as a mother. I have a voice that people will listen to and I’m taking this responsibility very seriously. This is the beginning of an incredible journey for me…I’m not gonna sit here and pretend to know everything right now…I don’t…I’m learning…I have people mentoring me. I’m going back to South Africa in a few weeks and then further into the field next year and I’m gonna do whatever I can do…I would do anything for my children and I think every woman out there has the right to health and the right to give her children a healthy future.
The video can be found on the BBC News website:
Victoria Beckham named UNAIDS Goodwill Ambassador

A slightly longer piece from The Independent:
Victoria Beckham becomes UNAIDS International Goodwill Ambassador

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Links I Liked 501-Why I am taking a break from my weekly #globaldev content curation

Should I consider a PhD in International Development Studies?

Links & Contents I Liked 500

Dear white middle class British women: Please don't send used bras (or anything, really) to Africa

Links & Contents I Liked 499